Recipe by kymgerberich
From the Brantford, KS Evangelical Covenant Church Recipe Book.
Top Review by kiwidutch
I made this as a gift to my neighbours who had a hard week and needed cheering up after attending a difficult funeral. They know about my rating system and had the following comments: "the hubby said that he would have given it a 3 becuase while the bottom was nice enough he felt that the topping wasn't sweet enough, his wife said that she liked it more that way and would have given it a 4... she definiately liked it a lot more than he did" So, since I am on a strict elimination diet to pinpoint allergies and couldn't try this myself, I will do what I usually do when the votes are divided: give the benefit of the doubt and go for the higher of the 2 ratings. Therefore this recipe scores 4 stars. I did follow the recipe to the letter, and I used peanuts. I wasn't certain if they should be whole or not, so pulsed 2/3 of them in a food processor so that I had a few finer bits and mostly small chunks and combined that with the other 3rd of the peanuts that I had left whole. My Reviewers liked it very much that way. Thanks !
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter with 1 cup sugar. Add the egg yolks; sift flour together with baking powder. Add to mixture.
- Stir well and add 1/2 tsp vanilla. Pat this mixture into a 9x9 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Beat egg whites very stiff and beat in the second cup of brown sugar and 1/2 stp vanilla. Spread over the top of the nuts.
- Bake in 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- Cut in squares to serve.