Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These individual sandwich cakes are based on the large Swedish sandwich cake. Don't let the name fool you though, it's not really a cake, but a sandwich made to look like one. These savory treats are like a little bite of Sweden.
- Use a biscuit cutter or large glass to cut the bread into rounds so that you have 18 rounds of bread.
- Chop fennel and asparagus into chunks, reserving the asparagus bulbs for later. In a food processor, mix fennel, asparagus, cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, and capers.
- Spread cream cheese filling onto 12 of the bread rounds and stack to 6 sandwiches. Top each one with another plain bread round.
- Use a hand blender or mixer to whip the remaining cream cheese and sour cream together. Spread sour cream mixture around the outside and top of the cakes.
- Press spinach leaves around the outside of the cakes.
- Decorate the top of each cake with a shrimp or slice of salmon, half of a boiled egg, and asparagus buds.
- Garnish with dill sprigs and/or lemon slices.