These individual sandwich cakes are based on the large Swedish sandwich cake. Don't let the name fool you though, it's not really a cake, but a sandwich made to look like one. These savory treats are like a little bite of Sweden.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use a biscuit cutter or large glass to cut the bread into rounds so that you have 18 rounds of bread.
- 2Chop fennel and asparagus into chunks, reserving the asparagus bulbs for later. In a food processor, mix fennel, asparagus, cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, and capers.
- 3Spread cream cheese filling onto 12 of the bread rounds and stack to 6 sandwiches. Top each one with another plain bread round.
- 4Use a hand blender or mixer to whip the remaining cream cheese and sour cream together. Spread sour cream mixture around the outside and top of the cakes.
- 5Press spinach leaves around the outside of the cakes.
- 6Decorate the top of each cake with a shrimp or slice of salmon, half of a boiled egg, and asparagus buds.
- 7Garnish with dill sprigs and/or lemon slices.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smörgåstårta (Swedish Sandwich Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.6
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 205.9 mg
- Sodium 981.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 17.9 g