Recipe by Hippie2MARS
This is a very basic dish that I grew up on. Every now and then I still crave it, and nothing else will do!
Top Review by Happy Hippie
The family really enjoyed this meal. It was a great base for the changes I made. Instead of using mushrooms because the kids don't like them, I added a can of reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup to maintain the mushroom flavor. I added a can of whole-kernal corn with liquid because that's what I had on hand; I added colby jack cheese, I used a can of diced tomatoes with mild green chilis, I added a half teaspoon of ground red pepper and used medium shell macaroni. Your recipe was a great base for a terrific meal. Thank you!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, boil water to cook the macaroni.
- Add a dash of salt, then the macaroni to the pot and bring back to a boil.
- Cook 7-8 minutes until pasta is done, but still firm.
- Drain the macaroni and return to the hot pan.
- While the pasta cooks, brown the hamburger with the onion and garlic.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, and corn to the cooked meat mixture.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef mixture to the pasta and stir.
- Stir in the cheese and serve.