Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I adapted Diana Rattray's lovely "Island Barbecued Turkey Legs" (http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotturkeyrecipes/r/r80418b.htm) recipe. Quickly realizing that she was making her own BBQ sauce, I revised and altered the ingredient list and, after literally over a dozen incarnations, I arrived at the following recipe. The cumin and chipotle powder give the meal a slightly smokey flavor that plays well with the sweet (pineapple) and the heat (BBQ sauce, Salsa).
- 3 -4 turkey legs or 2 turkey thighs
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.5 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup couscous (optional)
- Spray the slow cooker, at least 4 quarts in size, with non-stick spray.
- Place half of the onions at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the turkey onto the onion base.
- Place the rest of the ingredients, except the couscous, into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours, or high for 4 - 4.5 hours.
- Optionally, add the couscous approximately 10 - 12 minutes prior to serving.
- Mix well and enjoy.
- Note: I remove the turkey skin, then ball it up, putting it off to the side in the slow cooker. Doing so improves the overall depth of flavor for both the turkey and the sauce, but it still allows us to throw out the extra fat post-cooking, a fair compromise between flavor and fat.
- Note: I do not add salt as there seems to be enough sodium in the BBQ sauce and salsa.