Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 6 mins
- 1 1⁄2-2 kg chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 -4 slices ginger
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 tablespoons gherkins, chopped
- 1 Chinese cabbage or 1 savoy cabbage, cut into wedges
- Blanch chicken in boiling water 6 minutes, skimming any scum from the surface. Drain well.
- Rub it inside and out with the salt and stuff with a mixture of the ginger, crumbled stock cube, onion and gherkins.
- Put the stuffed chicken in a flameproof casserole with 5 cups water.
- Bring to the boil; then put the casserole in the oven, preheated to 180 C.
- Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the chicken once. Take the chicken out and arrange the cabbage wedges in the liquid place the chicken on top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and cook for a further 40 minutes, Serve straight from the casserole or from a large warmed tureen.