Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe from the Beef Information Centre is delicious served with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.
Top Review by Derf
very tasty, I will make this again although I will simmer it about half and hour longer, it wasn't quite as tender as I think it could have been but very very flavourful!!! thanks for posting.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef blade steak
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat and brown the meat on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the beef broth, lemon peel, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Add the browned meat and reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Add a bit of water to the pan if it begins to cook dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the steak into thin slices for serving.