1/3 Photos of Slow Roasted Vegetable Soup
2 hrs 20 mins
The vegetables become really intensely flavoured, sweeter and more mellow. It's lovely served for lunch on a biting cold day with a big chunk of bread and some cheese. Alternatively you can tart it up for a dinner party by topping it with crispy bacon pieces, some crumbled cheshire cheese or herby croutoms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large red onion, peeled
- 8 ounces carrots, peeled
- 8 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled
- 8 ounces butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 8 ounces sweet red peppers, deseeded
- 6 ounces tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 liters vegetable stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- 2Chop the peeled and deseeded butternut squash, sweet potato, sweet peppers, onion and carrot into nice big chunky pieces - 2inch diameter will be fine.
- 3Cut the tomatoes into similar sized chunks, and remove the seedy-jelly bit.
- 4Toss the vegetables with the olive oil until they're nicely coated and add the rosemary.
- 5Place in the oven for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, adding the whole garlic bulb after the first hour. The veg should now be cooked, slightly caramelised and almost chewy, with a much more intense and mellow flavour.
- 6Remove the rosemary sprigs and place all veggies in a pan. Squeeze the garlic out of their papery husks into the pan too and add stock.
- 7If there is any gooey residue on the bottom of the roasting tin, pour a little of the stock into it and scrape it into the pan, as this is where the serious flavour is!
- 8Liquidize the soup in batches and reheat. Check seasoning and serve in big bowls with a swirl of greek yogurt on top.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Roasted Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.0
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 57.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: