Recipe by Julesong
I love slowly-roasted tomato sauce, and here's an excellent recipe! You'll have trouble getting your family to wait until it's on the table. :)
Top Review by Susan2012
This was delicious. So far I have made 4 batches using 20 Romas at a time so I guess that is really 8 batches. We had some with pasta and I added the rest to my homemade marinara sauce for canning. This recipe has gone into my permanent file. It is very rich and satisfying.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced basil
- 10 roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and basil.
- Pour half of this mixture onto a cookie sheet and spread it around.
- Place tomatoes cut-side down on cookie sheet on top of the oil blend.
- Drizzle tomatoes with remaining oil, then sprinkle with the maple sugar and salt.
- Bake slowly in oven at 300 degrees for 3 hours.
- Blend or process when done.
- Serve hot over pasta, rice, or white beans (If you don't have 3 hours, you can roast them at 400 for 30 to 45 minutes or broil for 15 minutes, but it won't taste the same).