Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a simple appetizer using fresh plum tomatoes and an olive tapenade. They are slow roasted in the over until very tender. Adapted from Food and Wine, March 2008.
- 3⁄4 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup nicoise olive, pitted and chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- 8 large plum tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a mini food processor, process the basil, olive oil, olives and rosemary to a paste.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a large, rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the tapenade over each tomato slice. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the tomatoes are very tender.
- Serve hot or warm.
I love all the ingredients in this, so I was really expecting to love this. But I found the rosemary and basil too strong in the recipe. I used fresh herbs, so I didn't overpower it with dried herbs. I think it could have used more olives, and less basil and rosemary. I also think it would benefit from a sprinkle of feta just before taking it out of the oven. I really hate leaving anything other than a 4 or 5 star rating, but I couldn't leave that rating in good conscious for others. Sorry, this just didn't please my palate.