Recipe by TooAllergic
Harmonious. This is close to a recipe from the Victory Garden. The smokey bacon and sweet carrots balance the oily fish and bitter cabbage perfectly.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 head napa cabbage, cored and medium-slices
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 24 ounces salmon, 4-6ounce fillets
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, small dice
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (soy works)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 250°F.
- In a large skillet, render the bacon (no higher than medium heat) until bacon crisps and fat remains light in color. Remove bacon, keeping fat in pan.
- Add the onion and sauté for a minute. Add the cabbage and water. Cook until tender.
- While cabbage is cooking, place the slmon on a non-stick cookie sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Bake to desired doneness--I like 12 minutes for about medium and this is about how long the cabbage takes.
- When cabbage is soft, add the carrots and season. Carrots will soften and brighten in about 2 minutes.
- When fish is done, squeeze the lemon over it. When Cabbage is ready, stir in the sour cream. No sauce needed, but I sometimes use a spicy carrot reduction to fancy it up!