4 hrs 15 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
Nothing is more tempting to eat than a big prime rib roast
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 lbs rib roast, well trimmed and tied
- 2 large garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1Take roast out of the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 2 hours to take off the chill. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Mash together the garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary; rub seasoning into the roast. Place meat, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- 3Place meat in the oven and roast approximately 45 minutes, until lightly browned. Open the oven and scatter the vegetables in the pan around the roast. Close the oven, then reduce temperature to 225 degrees. Bake approximately 2 1/2 hours for rare(140 degrees on a meat thermometer) or longer for more well done.
- 4When the meat is done to your satisfaction, take the roast out of the oven and place it on a carving board to rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
- 5Meanwhile, if enough juice has been rendered by the meat, prepare a natural gravy. Remove excess fat from the pan and place pan over low heat. Stir in suitable amount of water (1 to 2 cups) scraping to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Reduce gravy slightly, strain, and check seasonings. Serve warm with the roast beef.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Roasted Prime Rib of Beef
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1333.1
- Calories from Fat 1073
- Total Fat 119.3 g
- Saturated Fat 49.8 g
- Cholesterol 264.9 mg
- Sodium 440.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 58.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: