Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Prime rib is my family's Christmas Dinner. This one is delicious.
- 6 lbs beef rib roast (3 bone)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Allow beef roast to come to room temperature before cooking (about 2 hours out of the frig.).
- In small bowl, blend butter with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Spread butter mixture evenly over all side of roast.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place rack in center of oven.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for one minute. Sear roast in skillet on all sides until well-browned (about 8-10 minutes). Transfer roast, bone-side down, to a roasting pan with rack.
- Roast beef until thermometer inserted in center reads 125 degrees for rare (about 2 hours), 135 degreed for medium-rare, (about 2 1/4 hours), or 145 degrees for medium (about 2 1/2 hours). Let meat rest at least 15 minutes before carving.
I found this to be on the salty side so would use less salt next time. Instead of browning in the oil, I cooked 30 min @475 then lowered the temp to the 325 degrees. Loved the spices