- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (5 -6 lb) boston butt or 1 (5 -6 lb) pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- lemon slice
- grated lemon rind
- fresh parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Add pork roast, turning to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate roast at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Brown all sides of roast in hot oil in a Dutch oven. Add reserved marinade.
- Bake, covered, at 275 degrees for 6 to 7 hours or until meat can be shredded. Garnish, if desired.