Recipe by cakeinmyface
From Easter menu by Maria Ellis to be served with braised butter beans and tomatoes http://www.recipezaar.com/braised-butterbeans-with-tomatoes-from-olive-magazine-april-10-417782 time does not include marinating overnight.
- 2 1⁄2-3 kg leg of lamb
- 6 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 large bunch dill (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 sprigs oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from the lamb and put the leg ontio 2 large sheets of baking paper. Make incisions all over the with a small sharp knife and push in the garlic slices.
- Mix the 50ml olive oil with lemon juice and drizzle over the lamb and season with sea salt. Rub with remaining herbs and spices.
- Cover with another piece of paper and fold the bottom pieces over the top pieces to form a tight parcel. Secure with string. Marinate in the fridge overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge and allow to come to room temperature, preheat oven to gas mark 3.
- Place lamb in roasting tin with end of the leg slightly elevated to stop any juices escaping, bake for 3 hours.
- Remove from over and rest for 30 minutes before carving serving with cooking juices.