1/4 Photos of Slow-Roasted Garlic
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Deborah Madison's book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. This is the best method for roasting garlic. It creates the smoothest roasted garlic with the best flavor. It enriches and smooths the flavor and it great in just about everything (well, except desserts). Yield depends on the size of your head of garlic. This produces surprisingly little (perhaps 2 tbs the first time I did it), so if you would like a larger quantity you may want to double or triple the recipe.
My Private Note
head ro ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Peel the head of garlic of all the papery skin with the exception of the very last layer.
- 3Garlic should still hold together in its original shape, but individual cloves should be visible.
- 4Rub head and inside of oven proof dish (a ramekin, custard dish will work) with butter or olive oil.
- 5Put water/stock in bottom of dish.
- 6Cover dish with foil and place in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- 7After the 45 minutes are up, uncover the dish and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- 8Remove garlic and dish from oven and allow to cool.
- 9After cooled, remove cloves and squeeze the roasted garlic from the cloves into a dish or container.
- 10The roasted garlic should be a light yellowy-brown and very soft and sticky.
- 11Store in the refrigerator and use in place of garlic for a milder and delicious flavor.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Roasted Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.1
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g