Cook1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Deborah Madison's book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. This is the best method for roasting garlic. It creates the smoothest roasted garlic with the best flavor. It enriches and smooths the flavor and it great in just about everything (well, except desserts). Yield depends on the size of your head of garlic. This produces surprisingly little (perhaps 2 tbs the first time I did it), so if you would like a larger quantity you may want to double or triple the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel the head of garlic of all the papery skin with the exception of the very last layer.
- Garlic should still hold together in its original shape, but individual cloves should be visible.
- Rub head and inside of oven proof dish (a ramekin, custard dish will work) with butter or olive oil.
- Put water/stock in bottom of dish.
- Cover dish with foil and place in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- After the 45 minutes are up, uncover the dish and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove garlic and dish from oven and allow to cool.
- After cooled, remove cloves and squeeze the roasted garlic from the cloves into a dish or container.
- The roasted garlic should be a light yellowy-brown and very soft and sticky.
- Store in the refrigerator and use in place of garlic for a milder and delicious flavor.