Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is something I learned from friends up in Malaysia. The meat goes well in fried rice as well as with salad.
- 2 kg pork belly, ribs removed
- 250 ml water
- 1 piece ginger, chopped coarsely
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped coarsely
- 6 tablespoons char siu sauce
- Preheat oven to 110-120 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the belly, dry, rub over the char siu sauce.
- Place in a heavy baking dish, skin down, pour in the water and sprinkle generously with ginger and garlic, cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven.
- Check after 1 hour to see that the temperature is not too low that nothing is happening or too high that it is cooking too fast.
- After 5 hours the meat will be just so tender.
- The skin will not be any good and you will have to cut it off.
- Serve with a simple salad.