Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The pan juices from this pizza-inspired pot roast just might be the best part of the dish. Maybe oven roasted (covered) for 2 1/2 - 3 hours at 325 degrees. With adaptations from Bruce Aidell's, "The Great Meat Cookbook".
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) trimmed boneless beef chuck roast or 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) trimmed boneless pork shoulder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 10 -12 ounces Italian sausage, removed from casing (hot or mild or a combination of both)
- 1 large red onions or 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with basil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 anaheim chilies or 2 poblano peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup thickly sliced mushroom, such as cremini (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- cooked pasta, for serving
- flat leaf parsley
- Pat beef dry. Season on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef (or pork) in the oil until well browned on both sides, 10-12 minutes total. Transfer meat to the slow cooker.
- Add sausage and onion to skillet. Cook, breaking up sausage with a spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Stir in tomatoes, wine, chilies, mushrooms, oregano and fennel. Pour over beef in slow cooker. Cook on low until beef is fork-tender, about 8 hours. (You can use the high setting for 4 hours, but the beef won't be quite as tender). (If working in advance, the cooked dish can be refrigerate covered up to 2 days. Skim off solidified fat; reheat gently in a large saucepan on low heat.).
- Carefully remove roast to a serving platter; tent with foil. Skim off fat from pan juices. Taste and season with salt, if necessary. Serve roast thinly sliced over the pasta. Top beef slices and pasta with tomato mixture. Garnish with parsley sprigs.