2 hrs 10 mins
We don't recommend cooking this roast past medium. Open the oven door as little as possible and remove the roast from the oven while taking its temperature. If the roast has not reached the desired temperature in the time specified in step 3, heat the oven to 225 degrees for 5 minutes, shut it off, and continue to cook the roast to the desired temperature. For a smaller (2 1/2- to 3 1/2-pound) roast, reduce the amount of kosher salt to 3 teaspoons (1 1/2 teaspoons table salt) and black pepper to 1 1/2 teaspoons. For a 4 1/2- to 6-pound roast, cut in half crosswise before cooking to create 2 smaller roasts. Slice the roast as thinly as possible and serve with Horseradish Cream Sauce (see related recipe), if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season all sides of roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees.
- 3Pat roast dry with paper towels; rub with 2 teaspoons oil and season all sides evenly with pepper.
- 4Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Sear roast until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes.
- 5Transfer roast to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Roast until meat registers 115 degrees (for medium-rare), 1¼ to 1¾ hours, or 125 degrees (for medium), 1¾ to 2¼ hours.
- 6Turn oven off; leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat registers 130 degrees (for medium-rare) or 140 degrees (for medium), 30 to 50 minutes longer.
- 7Transfer roast to carving board and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice meat as thin as possible and serve.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Roasted Beef(ATK)
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.4
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 179.9 mg
- Sodium 1703.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 56.9 g