2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Balsamic vinegar mingles with butter and carmelized sugar to make a snappy glaze. Serve alongside roasted meats or poultry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2In each of 2 large skillets, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the turnips to the skillets, flat side down; season with salt and pepper.
- 3Cook over moderately high heat, turning once, unti browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer turnips to a bowl.
- 4Scrape the butter from one skillet to another; evenly sprinkle the sugar over the butter. Cook over medium heat until a rich brown caramel forms, 6 minutes.
- 5Slowly add the vinegar, being careful it doesn't bubble over; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- 6Boil over high heat for 2 minutes; stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- 7Arrange the turnips in a large baking dish; pour the caramel into the dish and top with thyme sprigs.
- 8Bake 15 minutes; baste with caramel in the dish. Reduce oven to 350*F. and bake for 50 minutes.
- 9Baste the turnips again and increase oven to 400*F. Continue baking 30 minutes longer, or until the turnips are very tender and the caramel has reduced to a glaze.
- 10Discard the thyme and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Roasted Balsamic Turnips
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.3
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 160.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: