Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I have been pulling out some recipes that I use during the holiday season. This recipe comes from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes.
- 2 lbs yams or 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup firmply packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup broken pecans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Coat the slow cooker with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange the slices of yams in overlapping layer.
- Stir the extracts into the melted butter and drizzle over the yeams.
- Combine the brown sugar, coconut, pecans, and cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle over the yams in a layer.
- Dot with the cold butter.
- Cover and cook on Low until the yams are tender (to check for doneness pierce tiwht the tip of a knife).
this recipe is A-MAZ-ING. i've made it several times now...just last night for new year's eve party, and i swear it was the best dish there!!!
Yum! This will make a great addition to my Thanksgiving table.
We loved this. I made a double batch for a large family gathering and used my very biggest crock pot. I did use just a bit more brown sugar and a bit more cinnamon. Yes, my yams got a little dark, but I wouldn't say the color was unappealing. I will certainly make these again. I'm adding this to the dishes I serve at Thanksgiving so that I can save room in my oven. Thanks for posting.