Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Congee is a rice soup or porridge. It has more the consistency of soup than porridge. I learned this recipe while living in Vietnam. Putting it in the slow cooker at night, I have a lovely breakfast in the morning, though it could be a wonderful, easy soup dinner with a salad. The vegetarian ham could be substituted with firm tofu or vegetarian chicken. If you have a larger slow cooker, this recipe can easily be doubled. I sometimes make enough to have for breakfast for 4 or 5 days.
- 1⁄2 cup jasmine rice, washed and drained
- 5 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 3 reconstituted dried black mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup vegetarian ham, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- light soy sauce, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- Put the rice, salt, and water in a slow cooker.
- Add ginger and mushrooms.
- Turn slow cooker on to low and cook for 8 hours or overnight.
- Season with salt, light soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper.
- Ladle the congee into individual serving bowls, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.