Recipe by Bec
In college, choosing macaroni and cheese or juniorettes is always a first choice- But sometimes, it just doesn't cut it. Home cooked meals are very necessary every once in awhile, as you may know. Slow cooker recipes are great in apartments, especially when space is limited to prepare a feast. This takes only minutes to prepare, then let it cook while you study or rest for 2 1/2 hours. *Note: Veggie crumbles are a heat and serve vegetarian meat substitute- If you don't want this to be vegetarian, you can substitute 8 ounces ground beef, browned, for the crumbles.
Top Review by Cook4theFamily
Thank you! Using the diced tomatoes and spinach, and the veggie crumbles, in the sauce is a great idea! I also added mushrooms to mine. Instead of exchanging the layers as recommeded here, I put it all together in the sauce. Thanks for the Prego idea--I used Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic, which was a hit. I used regular lasagne noodles--they always come out right in my crockpot lasagne. I also add parmesan cheese and green onions to my cottage cheese (instead of ricotta.) Will use again!
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce (I like Prego)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded Italian cheese blend or 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup frozen veggie crumbles (Like Boca, etc)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, combine marinara sauce and tomatoes with their juice.
- Spray 4.5-6 quart slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 cup tomato-sauce mixture into bowl.
- Arrange 1/4 of noodles over sauce, overlapping noodles and breaking into large pieces to cover as much sauce as possible.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup sauce over noodles, then top with 1/2 cup ricotta, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Spread half of spinach over cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times beginning with noodles, but in middle layer, replace spinach with frozen crumbles. Place remaining noodles over spinach, then top with remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low 2.5 to 3 hours or on high 1.5 to 1.75 hours, or until noodles are very tender.