Recipe by Irmgard
A good, hearty vegetable soup that can be prepared the night before and put to cook before you leave the house in the morning. Excellent topped with parmesan cheese.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cut into cubes
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup orzo pasta, precooked (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, oregano and salt.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, water, ham and kidney beans.
- Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are tender, about 6 hours.
- Add the green pepper, zucchini, corn and cooked pasta (if using).
- Cover and cook on high until the vegetables are tender crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and stir in the parsley.