Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is a tasty, inexpensive dinner made with turkey thighs and dried navy beans. You can substitute inexpensive cuts of beef or pork for the turkey if you prefer. Recipe is from Betty Crocker.
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried navy beans, sorted, rinsed (2 cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey thighs, skin removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 3-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling over medium-high heat. Add navy beans. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Place beans in slow cooker; add broth.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together olive oil, 1/2 cup of the parsley, the Italian seasoning, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Press mixture firmly onto turkey thighs. Place turkey on top of beans in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 9 hours or until beans are tender and turkey pulls apart easily with fork.
- Remove turkey from slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High. Stir green beans and remaining 1 teaspoon salt into slow cooker. Cover; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are hot. Meanwhile, remove turkey from bones. To serve, place bean mixture in shallow bowls; top with turkey, and sprinkle with remaining parsley.