Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe features slow-cooked chicken which is then used to make a panini sandwich. I clipped this recipe from Redbook magazine and hope to try it soon. This recipe uses chicken thighs, bone-in, but skinless. You can slow cook the chicken up to one day ahead and refrigerated. To grill the sandwich, a panini press, sandwich grill or a stovetop grill pan with a heavy skillet on top can be used.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat (2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 garlic cloves, flattened with side of knife
- 4 pieces focaccia bread, halved horizontally (4 4-inch squares , about 1-inch thick, or 8 thick slices white bread)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar roasted peppers, preferably red and yellow, drained
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- For slow-cooked chicken, mix Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper in a small cup.
- Brush chicken with olive oil; rub seasoning mixture all over chicken.
- Put wine and garlic in a 4 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker; add chicken thighs in a single layer, bone side down.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours, or until fork tender.
- Remove from cooker; let stand until cool enough to handle (chicken can be cooked up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated).
- Remove bones; tear chicken into large pieces.
- For the panini: Assemble sandwiches on focaccia with chicken, roasted peppers and provolone.
- Spray sandwiches with olive oil cooking spray.
- Grill sandwiches in a panini press or sandwich grill, or on a stovetop grill pan with a heavy skillet on top.
- Grill sandwiches until bread is lightly toasted and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Nice flavour and so easy to make. Definitely a keeper!
I am making this for a second time tonight. It is so yummy and flavorful! Thanks for the great recipe
I loved the crockpot aspect of this recipe. It made throwing a tasty meal together fast & easy. I used skinless, bone-in chicken breasts instead of the thighs. The flavor of the chicken was very nice. I can see so many uses for it beyond this sandwich. As far as the panini I used Italian Parmesan Bread and subbed sundried tomatoes for the roasted peppers. Made for ZWT4.