Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The beauty of slow cooking is that you set it and then forget it. This sauce can be used for many meals. Freeze some, Have it on pasta, on bread with cheese, toasted mini pizzas, over baked chicken (Parmesan or not) or beef, lasagna. Tomatoes are very nutritious.This make them taste great! Fresh herbs are a plus.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in skillet; add onions,garlic, celery peppers and carrots.
- Saute on high until transparent.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir to blend together.
- Cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- About an hour before serving time, check and thin with water if necessary.
- I love a thick sauce.
- Set the Slow cooker on Low and let is cook overnight.
- Tip: Use your processor on the pulse mode to chop your vegetables.
- I always try to make it in the summer and add my fresh herbs by the handfull.