A Cooks Illustrated Recipe. Super Yummy. Top with avocado, scallions, onions, sour cream, grated cheese - you name it! A 5 pound roast after trimming yields about 3 1/2 pounds of meat.
My Private Note
1 1/3 c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bacon, chopped medium
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless chuck roast (trimmed and cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 jalapeno chiles (stemmed, seeded, minced)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn into 2 inch pieces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo (chopped medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 15 ounces kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1Cook bacon in 12 inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add to slow cooker, reserving the fat.
- 2Dry the beef with paper towels, season with salt and peper. Add 2 teaspoons of bacon fat to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of beef, about 10 minutes, and add to slow cooker. Return skillet to medium-high heat,repeat with 2 teaspoons of bacon fat, and remaining beef.
- 3Add remaining 2 teaspoons of bacon fat (use vegetable oil if not enough reserved) return to medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer then pour into slow cooker.
- 4Combine the tortillas and 1 cup of the chicken broth in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high until mushy, about 2 minutes. Puree the mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir into the slow cooker. Add the remaining 4 cups of broth, chipotles, and sugar to the slow cooker.
- 5Cover and cook on either low (9-10 hours) or high (6-7 hours) until the meat is tender . Stir in beans during last hour of cooking. Before serving stir in cilantro and lime juice, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6To make in advance, prepare to the slow cooking point but refrigerate browned bacon and meat separately from the liquids and the pureed tortillas. When ready to cook combine in slow cooker and proceed.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Texas-Style Chili Con Carne
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.3
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 101.5 mg
- Sodium 695.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 31.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo