Recipe by rebecca684
This is an amazing chili recipe that I found in the Foodnetwork Magazine. It's a true Texas chili and has no beans. It was so good and my husband just loved it!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 -2 tablespoon green hot sauce (optional)
- sliced green onion
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the beef with 1 tablespoon each of brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in batches until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the onions to the skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chilies, cumin, and chili powder and cook 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and the tomatoes and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and the hot sauce (optional) to the chili. Serve with green onions, cilantro, and sour cream for topping.