Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Kraft Food & Family, Fall 2007
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (TACO BELL HOME ORIGINALS Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa (TACO BELL HOME ORIGINALS Thick 'N Chunky)
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese (KRAFT Mexican Style Shredded Four Cheese)
- Mix chicken with seasoning and flour in slow cooker.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except the shredded cheese; cover with lid.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours (or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours).
- Stir just before serving.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Serve over rice and garnished with fresh green onions and cilantro.
Delish! I made a few small changes. I added black beans and omitted the green pepper. I also did not have any salsa so I used a can of diced tomatoes and added Mexican seasoning (cumin, garlic, onion powder). We ate them in tortillas. Definite crowd pleaser.
This is always a hit at my house. I serve it over rice, then eat the leftovers with tortillas. I find it only needs to cook about 3-4 hours on low. Any longer than that and it starts to burn around the edges of the crock pot.
As written, I'd have to give this only three stars, mostly because 3 hours on high is going to reduce cut up chicken breast to dry, tasteless mush. I substituted bone in skinless thighs, and they were just falling apart at the 3 hour mark. Once the cooking was over, I took the meat off of the bones, shredded it, and added back to the pot. I only had 1 cup of salsa, which was fortunate, as I thought there was a bit too much liquid when the cooking was done. I added a can of drained pinto beans at the end, just to thicken things up a bit and add a bit more substance. I also added a teaspoon or so of ground cumin to add a bit of smokey flavor. This was great over chipotle rice, and would also be good as enchilada or burrito filling. Thanks for sharing!