Recipe by threeovens
This recipe does not use "taco seasoning mix," but you make your own. It also includes instructions for cooking this in a regular oven. From Better Homes and Gardens.
Smoky Tomato Salsa
- 28 ounces can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded (2 oz Monterey Jack with jalapeno)
- corn tortilla (for serving) (optional)
- sliced avocado
- chopped green onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine crushed tomatoes (minus 1/2 cup for the meatloaf), green pepper, green onions, fresh cilantro, jalapeno lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes and crushed tortilla chips; stir in onions, garlic, cumin, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add ground beef, ground pork, and corn; mix well and form into a round or oblong loaf to fit slow cooker.
- Arrange three 18-inch long strips of aluminum foil, folded double so they criss-cross; place meatloaf in the center and transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook on low 5 to 6 hours or on high 2 1/2 to 3 hours, covered (instant read thermometer will read 160 degrees F).
- Carefully use aluminum to lift meatloaf to a cutting board; carefully remove aluminum, sprinkle with cheese, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve with Smoky Tomato Salsa and garnishes, if desired.
- OVEN VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place shaped loaf in shallow baking pan. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until an internal 160 degrees F on an instant read meat thermometer. Sprinkle with cheese, let rest 10 minutes and serve with garnishes, if desired.