5 hrs 30 mins
This recipe does not use "taco seasoning mix," but you make your own. It also includes instructions for cooking this in a regular oven. From Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Smoky Tomato Salsa
- 28 ounces can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1/2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded (2 oz Monterey Jack with jalapeno)
- 1In a medium bowl, combine crushed tomatoes (minus 1/2 cup for the meatloaf), green pepper, green onions, fresh cilantro, jalapeno lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes and crushed tortilla chips; stir in onions, garlic, cumin, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add ground beef, ground pork, and corn; mix well and form into a round or oblong loaf to fit slow cooker.
- 3Arrange three 18-inch long strips of aluminum foil, folded double so they criss-cross; place meatloaf in the center and transfer to slow cooker.
- 4Cook on low 5 to 6 hours or on high 2 1/2 to 3 hours, covered (instant read thermometer will read 160 degrees F).
- 5Carefully use aluminum to lift meatloaf to a cutting board; carefully remove aluminum, sprinkle with cheese, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 6Serve with Smoky Tomato Salsa and garnishes, if desired.
- 7OVEN VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place shaped loaf in shallow baking pan. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until an internal 160 degrees F on an instant read meat thermometer. Sprinkle with cheese, let rest 10 minutes and serve with garnishes, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Taco Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.6
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 155.4 mg
- Sodium 279.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 27.8 g