Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I got this from a magazine recently, I think it was Paula Deen's magazine. I've never used tomato of any kind in my Swiss Steak, but after I made this DH and I both decided we always want it this way! I serve this with mashed potatoes, but it will go well with noodles or rice, too.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup siced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine steak, mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic.
- In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, gravy mix, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over steak mixture. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
Very good...Easy to make in the crock pot. Love the mushrooms in it. Very good with mashed potatoes.
Nice flavor and oh so easy to make in the crock pot. I held back on the mushrooms, sauted them right before serving. I was afraid they would get limp. Made for ZWT7 Switzerland, shady ladies team.