Recipe by Annacia
This is a healthier and hearty version of this dish. It cooks all day for you and is great on those busy nights.
Top Review by Kathy228
Everyone really liked this dish. My son declared the chicken delicious; it was tender and not dry. I cut each breast into four pieces. The sauce was very flavorful. I thickened it with arrowroot. The recipe was well written and went together easily. Served it with white rice and sliced cucumbers and oranges. I added some green pepper for color. I will make this again. Nice recipe Annacia.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks in syrup, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. combine pineapple syrup, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and soy sauce in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 1 hour.
- Add pineapple chunks, onion, bell pepper; cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add mixture to slow cooker and stir to mix. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.