This is a healthier and hearty version of this dish. It cooks all day for you and is great on those busy nights.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks in syrup, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. combine pineapple syrup, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and soy sauce in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 1 hour.
- Add pineapple chunks, onion, bell pepper; cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add mixture to slow cooker and stir to mix. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.
This is a very good recipe. I, also ,added the tomato paste and cut my chicken into large chunks. I did use regular chicken broth and soy sauce as I am not worried about sodium. I used cider vinegar and added ground ginger, white pepper and Worcestershire sauce to the sauce. To the veggies, I added carrot chunks and green bell along with red , also a can of water chestnuts. I enjoyed that the sauce was neither too sweet nor too tangy, it was very nice- not overpowering like some sweet n sour recipes. My family enjoyed dinner very much-thanks. I served it over jasmine rice with egg rolls on the side. I will make this again.
Everyone really liked this dish. My son declared the chicken delicious; it was tender and not dry. I cut each breast into four pieces. The sauce was very flavorful. I thickened it with arrowroot. The recipe was well written and went together easily. Served it with white rice and sliced cucumbers and oranges. I added some green pepper for color. I will make this again. Nice recipe Annacia.
This recipe is wonderful... I did use the advice of adding tomato paste and also I cubed the chicken for more of a chinese style on Basmati rice. Thanks!! No complaints here!