This is a healthier and hearty version of this dish. It cooks all day for you and is great on those busy nights.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks in syrup, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. combine pineapple syrup, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and soy sauce in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 1 hour.
- Add pineapple chunks, onion, bell pepper; cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add mixture to slow cooker and stir to mix. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.