Recipe by bcfdwife
From Allrecipes. This is the best stuffing I've ever tried! And it's perfect during the holidays... since it's done in the slow cooker there's more space on the stove/ oven for other things!
Top Review by maureend3
I found this recipe in a slow cooker cookbook at least 15 yrs ago or more. Everyone loves it. It is my kids( now adults) favourite part of Christmas dinner. .I usually leave out the eggs & can't tell much difference. I also just add enough broth so it is lightly moistened and add more if needed.
I also saute the veggies in butter and add the herbs and bread whenever I have the time, freeze it and then thaw it the day before cooking and add the liquids and cook as usual..
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or as needed)
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.