Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Allrecipes. This is the best stuffing I've ever tried! And it's perfect during the holidays... since it's done in the slow cooker there's more space on the stove/ oven for other things!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or as needed)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
I found this recipe in a slow cooker cookbook at least 15 yrs ago or more. Everyone loves it. It is my kids( now adults) favourite part of Christmas dinner. .I usually leave out the eggs & can't tell much difference. I also just add enough broth so it is lightly moistened and add more if needed.
I also saute the veggies in butter and add the herbs and bread whenever I have the time, freeze it and then thaw it the day before cooking and add the liquids and cook as usual..
I also used this from allrecipes at turkey day 2007 and it was a hit! It kept my oven free for rolls and green bean casserole. You'd think that it would be weird to eat stuffing from a slow cooker but it was actually just as good if not better than baking it in the oven. I would recommend this recipe to anyone looking to try something new and/or save oven space during the holidays!
Made this for Thanksgiving 2007 and everyone loved it. Very moist. Will make again.