Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is great for the holidays and tastes better than store bought. To make the slow cooker stuffing in the oven, prepare as directed using the full amount of broth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish or other large casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). This recipe is designed for use in a standard 4 quart slow cooker. Larger slow cookers will also work.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
Didn't work for me - not good flavor and maybe too soupy...not sure why.
This was AMAZING. I love stuffing, it is by far my favorite thing on the table at Thanksgiving. I followed the recipe exactly, and it came out perfectly and delicious. I will be making this every Thanksgiving for the rest of my life. The best part is, it's one less dish you have to worry about timing in the oven on an already crazy cooking holiday. I made it first, left in the slow cooker for 8 hours, and it was done just as the turkey was being sliced.
Made this in a slow cooker. Was very moist and delicious. Will make again for sure.