Recipe by jdrichardson
My wife is not a real fan of green peppers. Using red peppers tones down that nice little bite that the green peppers gives this classic dish. A great easy make ahead the night before recipe for a cold Florida night dinner.... making this the next time I'd use one red and one green pepper for just a bit more flavor...
Top Review by Heres_Looking_at_You_Kid
Gotta love the crockpot! Easy to make and tasted good too. One thing I noticed is that there is a reference to ground pork in the directions but it's not listed in the ingredients. I didn't use any pork and it was great. Also, I didn't have instant rice, but I did have some leftover white rice and used about a cup of that.
- 1 lb ground chuck, browned (80/20)
- 2 red peppers, par boiled
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped to your liking... medium for me
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) canned corn (optional, my wife hates corn as well)
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated 1 (8 ounce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut the tops off of the peppers and remove seeds. Core out the stem from the top for use as a base for the peppers.
- Bring a pot of water enough to to cover peppers to a boil. Add peppers including tops and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes, drain and let cool.
- Brown the ground chuck and ground pork together in a skillet, drain and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients except the peppers in a large bowl.
- Place the pepper tops in the bottom of the slow cooker, cut side down. Fill the peppers with the tomato rice mixture. There will some left over, and set peppers onto the tops. Pour the remaining tomato rice mixture around the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese or bread crumbs. If you need a little more liquid I use tomato juice as needed.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and enjoy!
- Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions that can make this dish even better.