Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Growing up My aunt used to serve stuffed peppers in the frozen box. They were good, but I have been looking for a good homemade recipe, that would knock my socks off. I found several that seem ok and none that totally had what I was seeking. I decided to play around with it. Remember that stuffed peppers is basically leftover meatloaf, stuffed into a pepper. Since it's just me and my boyfriend, I have this as a recipe for two, but it can easily be updated for more. Enjoy.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (chuck, sirloin, what have you)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon of mccormicks grill seasoning (steak) or 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup, plus
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ketchup, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 2 bell peppers (Any color you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Place meat in a large mixing bowl. Pour 1 beaten egg into bowl add seasoning or salt and pepper, allspice, tomato paste, steak sauce, spicy brown mustard, the 1/2 tablespoon of ketchup and onion to the bowl and combine into the meat. (Make sure egg is well combined, you don't want any scramble egg in the meat when you cook it!).
- Brown and crumble meat for 4 or 5 minutes,drain. Remove from heat. Stir in rice and a cup of ketchup; Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut tops off peppers; remove seeds, and rinse peppers. Mix water and remaining cup of ketchup into 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Place peppers upright in cooker. Spoon meat mixture into peppers.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until peppers are tender. Spoon sauce from bottom of dish over peppers just before serving.