Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Use those nice big, red homegrown tomatoes!
Make and share this Slow Cooker Stewed Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 8 large ripe tomatoes, homegrown is best
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash and core the tomatoes; place in boiling water for about 15 to 20 seconds, then immediately into ice water to cool quickly. Peel (they should peel easily after the boil/quick-cool).
- Cut tomatoes in wedges.
- Place tomato wedges in slow cooker. Top with all remaining ingredients; stir lightly to mix.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf when cooking is done.
I'm so happy to come accross this recipe. I had 25 pounds of farm fresh organic roma tomatoes to process this weekend, and being able to cook down a bunch in the slow cooker opened up my stove for making and then canning salsa. I did not add the veggies or seasonings, just the tomatoes, a dash of olive oil, the bay leaf and a chopped onion as I will be making pasta sauce later with the cooked tomatoes. Thanks so much for the lovely idea and technique. A keeper for sure!