Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This split pea soup is almost as easy as opening a can, and twice as yummy. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1656.13 ml water
- 453.59 g package dried split peas, rinsed and sorted (2 1/4 Cups)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (1 1/2 Cups)
- 2 stalk celery, finely chopped (1 Cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 ham bone or 907.18 g ham shanks or 907.18 g smoked pork hocks
- Mix all ingredients except ham in 5 qt slow cooker, then add ham.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8 to 10 hrs or on high heat 6 to 7 hours until peas are tender Remove ham from cooker; place on cutting board.
- Pull meat from bones, using 2 forks; discard bones and skin.
- Stir ham into soup.
- Stir well before serving.
This was very easy to make and the house smelt so good. The only thing was I had put it to 10 hours slow cooking but I checked after 6. Glad I did cause mine was cooked to the point of over cooked. I didnt have to puree anything as it was very soft. I used 2pork hocks and pulled the meat off and added it to the pot just before serving. Nice crusty bread went along with it. The rest was frozen into containers for future lunches Thank you for posting.
We made this today, with just a few modifications: -Added a pinch of dried thyme -Added about 1/2 tsp minced garlic -Added 1 bay leaf (removed before eating) We used a ham bone with a decent amount of meat on it. Our slow cooker is probably only 3.5 or 4-quart, and was quite full once we got all the ingredients in. I thought it wouldn't cook properly, but we cooked on high for about 7 hours, and it was fabulous! So simple, and yet so tasty. I added a good bit of black pepper after the fact, since I like mine that way. Thanks for a great recipe! This one will stay in our rotation!
This was one of the first recipes I reviewed on Zaar. I noticed that when I reviewed it originally, I left off the stars. It definately deserves 5 stars! It is something I have made several times since. I omit the salt because the ham bone usually adds enough. These is an excellent crockpot soup!