Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This split pea soup is almost as easy as opening a can, and twice as yummy. Hope you enjoy it!
- 7 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed and sorted (2 1/4 Cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (1 1/2 Cups)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (1 Cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 ham bone or 2 lbs ham shanks or 2 lbs smoked pork hocks
- Mix all ingredients except ham in 5 qt slow cooker, then add ham.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8 to 10 hrs or on high heat 6 to 7 hours until peas are tender Remove ham from cooker; place on cutting board.
- Pull meat from bones, using 2 forks; discard bones and skin.
- Stir ham into soup.
- Stir well before serving.
I have been making this exact recipe all my life. I'm 70. I use ham hocks but I cook them in water or chicken stock first and then put the stock in the fridge overnight and skim the fat in the morning. I have used split green or yellow peas. Sometimes I use 1 cup split and 1 1/2 cups whole peas for texture. Everyone loves it.
This was very easy to make and the house smelt so good. The only thing was I had put it to 10 hours slow cooking but I checked after 6. Glad I did cause mine was cooked to the point of over cooked. I didnt have to puree anything as it was very soft. I used 2pork hocks and pulled the meat off and added it to the pot just before serving. Nice crusty bread went along with it. The rest was frozen into containers for future lunches Thank you for posting.
This is an amazingly easy and great tasting soup. I would recommend it a to everyone...especially if you are just learning how to use a slow cooker. For those of you that have a smoker...you can't beat the flavor you get in the soup from the smoked ham bone and the bits of smoked ham. AWESOME!!!!