Recipe by CookbookCarrie
This split pea soup is almost as easy as opening a can, and twice as yummy. Hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Brenda in Winnipeg
I have been making this exact recipe all my life. I'm 70. I use ham hocks but I cook them in water or chicken stock first and then put the stock in the fridge overnight and skim the fat in the morning. I have used split green or yellow peas. Sometimes I use 1 cup split and 1 1/2 cups whole peas for texture. Everyone loves it.
- 7 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed and sorted (2 1/4 Cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (1 1/2 Cups)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (1 Cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 ham bone or 2 lbs ham shanks or 2 lbs smoked pork hocks
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients except ham in 5 qt slow cooker, then add ham.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8 to 10 hrs or on high heat 6 to 7 hours until peas are tender Remove ham from cooker; place on cutting board.
- Pull meat from bones, using 2 forks; discard bones and skin.
- Stir ham into soup.
- Stir well before serving.