Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is designed for a smallish slow cooker. As with all split pea soups, it tastes better the next day, but it will thicken up considerably and will need more water added to thin the consistency.
- 8 ounces dried split green peas
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ham bone
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg
- 4 ounces kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into thick slices
- Rinse the peas and pick through them for any pebbles or other things you don't want in your soup.
- Combine all ingredients except kielbasa in slow cooker and cook on low for about 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Add kielbasa and more salt and pepper, if needed, to taste. Cook for an additional half hour.