Easy and delicious! Very thick and hearty! Freezes well! (I always make a double batch and freeze 2/3.) Update: If you overcook, the soup will get even thicker than usual! and turn a little bit of an olive drab color--it will still taste good though!
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed
- 2 cups ham, diced or 1 ham bone (meaty) or 2 ham hocks
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste-definitely reduce if not using water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 quarts hot water
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
- Pour in water. Do not stir!
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone.
- Remove bones and bay leaf.