Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy and delicious! Very thick and hearty! Freezes well! (I always make a double batch and freeze 2/3.) Update: If you overcook, the soup will get even thicker than usual! and turn a little bit of an olive drab color--it will still taste good though!
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed
- 2 cups ham, diced or 1 ham bone (meaty) or 2 ham hocks
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste-definitely reduce if not using water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 quarts hot water
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
- Pour in water. Do not stir!
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone.
- Remove bones and bay leaf.
Very good and easy. I used up a ham bone that has been using up freezer space. I made on Saturday to eat on Sunday. It was VERY thick on Sunday, so I thinned it out a bit with some water. Not a problem-- that way it can be adjusted to everyone's liking. Very tasty and fragrant! Since I used the ham bone, I omitted the salt altogether, and did not miss it.
Great recipe! I made a double batch, but added three times the Ham along with a very meaty Ham bone. The Ham turned shredded and every bite had delicious split pea flavored Ham. Cudos to the cook. This is better than the one taught to me in culinary school.
This is a great recipe. I omited the carrot because I didn't have any and added a sprinkle of ground red pepper, 2 boullion cubes and a slash of liquid smoke for a smokey flavor. A keeper and I will use the recipe from now on! Thank you!