Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
From the Unwatched Pot.
- 1 1⁄2 cups soybeans
- 1 ham hocks or 1 ham bone
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Soak beans in water overnight (4 1/2 cups water).
- Place beans in cooker in soaking water. Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cooker.
- Cook on low for 12-14 hours or until tender.
I have been making soy beans similar to this for many years. I am 80 years old and got the recipe from my Mother. My family enjoys soys ever so much more than other baked beans. They are a firmer bean with a wonderful flavor. Instead of ham, I use either salt pork or bacon and I don't use ketchup. Everything else is pretty much the same; however, I do add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. In addition, I like to bake them but I have already simmered on stovetop. Too bad people are reluctant to try soy beans!