1/1 Photo of Slow-Cooker Southwestern Pot Pie (Vegetarian)
6 hrs 30 mins
Meatless but very flavorful. This is hard-core comfort food! Also very easy to make. Adapted from "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker" by Robin Robinson. Serve with your favorite salsa, and a dab of sour cream, if you like. Like many reviewers, I don't particularly like the topping, so I substitute another cornbread made from another recipe, or from 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans (or 2 15.5-oz cans of pinto beans, drained)
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove the seeds and white ribs for a milder "hot")
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon other soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1The beans can be prepared in the slow cooker! The night before you wish to make the pot pie, pick and rinse 1/2 lb of dry beans, put them in the slow cooker with water to cover plus one inch, and cook them on Low overnight. In the morning, the cooked beans are ready to drain and use in this (or any!) recipe.
- 2In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and carrot about 5 minutes, until softened.
- 3Lightly oil a 3 1/2 - 4 quart slow cooker with 1 tsp oil.
- 4Transfer the onions and carrot to the cooker, and add the bell pepper, garlic, corn, pinto beans, and chiles.
- 5Stir in the stock, tamari, and cilantro.
- 6Cool on Low for 5 hours.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Make the topping: In a separate bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix well. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil and the milk (for vegan use the soy milk), and mix until just combined.
- 9Place the topping on top of the filling, turn the cooker up to High, and cook for 1 hour more.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Southwestern Pot Pie (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.6
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 4.2 mg
- Sodium 628.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: