Recipe by Juenessa
This recipe is courtesy of Southern Living Magazine, April 2007.
Top Review by Chef Petunia
This has to be the best homemade joe recipe I've made or ever had and I have made many different recipes before. This is a keeper and one I will probably use all of the time. DH loved them also. Oh and I used the stove-top method of cooking them.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) package pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and sausage with onion and bell pepper in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring 10 minutes or until beef and sausage crumble and are no longer pink.
- Drain well.
- Place beef mixture in a 4 1/2-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in tomato sauce and next 9 ingredients.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
- Note: To freeze leftover Sloppy Joe mixture, let cool completely.
- Place in zip-top plastic freezer bags; lay bags flat, and stack in freezer.
- Freeze up to 1 month.
- Thaw overnight in the fridge, or defrost in the microwave.