Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From my daily diabetic recipe email and "The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan"
- 2 1⁄2 lbs well-trimmed top round roast or 2 1⁄2 lbs flat half beef brisket
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell peppers or 1 cup roasted sweet peppers, drained and chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) cantomato paste with roasted garlic or 1 (6 ounce) can Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Rinse the meat with cool water and pat it dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with some of the pepper.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Place the mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers in a 3-quart slow cooker and top with the roast. Pour the tomatoes over the meat. Top with Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 10 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the roast to a serving platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add the tomato paste to the remaining slow cooker mixture and stir to mix well.
- Slice the roast across the grain and serve hot accompanied by the sauce. Serve with pasta if desired.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 221, Carbohydrate: 12 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Fat: 5.7 g, Saturated Fat: 1.7 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 29 g, Sodium: 440 mg, Calcium: 36 mg.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat, 2 Vegetable.