This is very easy and wonderful to come home to after a long day at work. Even after cooking for 8 hours the vegetables are crisp and tasty. I use 1 tablespoon bayou blast (emeril) instead of red pepper sauce and turkey kielbasa for the sausage. I cook my rice in a rice-cooker. My teenagers say it is the best meal that I make. What an easy & tasty dinner this is!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped (I use outer stalks of celery hearts)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups smoked sausage, chopped (fully cooked)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (uncooked)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Mix all ingredients except shrimp and rice in a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting 7 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours).
- Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook on high heat about 1/2 hour or until shrimp are pink and firm.
- Serve with rice.