Recipe by Tee Lee
Sounds delicious. Posted for safe-keeping. From Ladies Home Journal. Their nutritional info is VERY different from Zaar's for this recipe, I think Zaar is forgetting that there are bones in the ribs, not just 4 pounds of straight meat. LHJ version of nutrition: calories 480; total fat 14.5g; saturated fat 5.5g; cholesterol 75mg; sodium 696mg; carbohydrate 51g; fiber 7g; protein 32g;
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions (from a 16-ounce bag)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (plus additional for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine carrot, onions and garlic in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Rinse ribs and pat dry; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, wide pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add ribs, in batches, and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer, as cooked, to slow cooker.
- Stir together tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, cornstarch and tomato paste in a bowl; pour over ribs. Add bay leaf.
- Cover and cook, 9 to 11 hours on LOW or 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours on HIGH.
- After cooking, skim off any fat from top (discard bay leaf).
- Combine 3-3/4 cups water, the polenta and salt in a large saucepan over moderately high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve ribs over polenta and garnish with parsley, if desired.